August 2, 2015

Sisterhood Spotlight: Gabi

I joined the Ohio Kappa chapter of Pi Beta Phi in the fall of 2014. This was my sophomore year in college and I just transferred to the University of Cincinnati. My family moved to Georgia and I was kind of lost and trying to find my way in a new city without anyone I really knew. Pi Phi has taught me so much about friendship and loyalty, as well as the importance of leadership and involvement with organizations. I do know that I want to be a part of something bigger within Pi Phi as well, which is why I plan on running for the executive board this coming fall 2015.


When I first came to UC I was in a biology major hoping to become a Veterinarian in the future. I am an animal lover and have been volunteering at the animal shelter for over 6 years. Making a difference in animals’ lives is a huge part of my life and is what I am passionate about.  My greatest project was taking on a rescue puppy that could not be adopted based on behavioral issues, I provided her with a home and training that she might not have gotten otherwise. I also was a foster mom for different kitties and puppies as well. I am proud to say that I have saved many helpless lives that may not have gotten a chance otherwise. As the year went on it was very tough on me and I questioned if this is what I truly wanted to do with my life due to the timing and financial involvement. I honestly don’t think I could have made the decision to change my major without the girls I have met in my sorority. My sisters I have made from this organization are life changing, and I truly felt like I finally found my place and would be able to start to become who I really wanted to be. It was a hard decision but I switched to marketing without losing sight that I want to incorporate animals somehow as well. My sisters here are an extension of my family at home. Coming from a large family I have never known a life without kids in the house. Being away from that I have found comfort in being involved in other families. This is why I have been a nanny as well for many years and am able to grow up with the little ones knowing I have made a difference in their lives as well.


As a rising junior at UC I still have 3 more years in my 5-year program. I plan on pursuing leadership opportunities within Pi Phi as well as other organizations on campus. I have spent the last year acclimating myself to campus life as I went to a community college my first year. Pi Phi has truly changed my outlook on life and has taught me to live to be the absolute best version of myself. I have finally found my home away from home!