July 6, 2015

Sisterhood Spotlight: Meghan

When I came to UC, I had a horrible time adjusting to being so far away from home. I only knew a handful of people and didn’t know where I would fit in. I went through recruitment completely blind. I’m one of the first in my family to attend college and the first in my family to go Greek! This meant meeting new people, the opportunity to make a difference through service and finding my home away from home. I had no idea that joining Pi Phi meant so much more than all of that. Pi Phi has brought me incredible friends, role models, and a network of sisters. The friendships I’ve already made in Pi Phi will last a lifetime. Without my big and my roommate, I probably would have left UC. The women in our chapter truly inspire me to achieve and go beyond my personal and professional goals. I know that whenever I have a question about my major, a class, another student organization or even a job there is someone willing to help.



Pi Phi gives their members numerous ways to get involved. I am currently a member of the Membership Development committee. I also had the incredible opportunity to travel to the Pi Beta Phi National Convention in Chicago, Illinois this past June to represent Ohio Kappa as an Emerging Leader. I made connections with Pi Phi’s from all over the country, learned so much to share with our chapter and gained a greater love and appreciation for our wonderful sisterhood. Outside of Pi Phi, I am an associate member of Lindner Women in Business, which is an organization that engages in professional development seminars to empower women and learn professional skills for the business world. I am also hoping to join a few other student organizations this fall thanks to the great recommendations from my Pi Phi sisters! While I am home during breaks, I volunteer at Lake Geauga United Head Start Preschool. I create bulletin boards, play in classrooms or work in the kitchen and office when needed.
I work two jobs while I am home for the summer to save up for my expenses at school and I will also be working during the school year. I have recently changed my major to Marketing with a Management minor. Marketing is a very broad major, so, I am planning to add a double major this year. I’m hoping to stay involved with Pi Phi long after graduation as well.

Pi Beta Phi was the turning point when I was ready to transfer to another school at the end of my first year. I couldn’t ask for a better home away from home.