June 19, 2015

Sisterhood Spotlight: Maggie

            Growing up, there weren’t too many people in my family who hadn’t gone Greek. I come from a family with a Phi Mu, a Theta, a few Tri Delts, a Phi Delt, a Delt, and most importantly a Pi Phi who happens to be my mom. When I came to the University of Cincinnati, I was having a hard time figuring out where and what grouped of people I belonged with. I knew I wanted to go through Rush. My family members always spoke so highly of Greek Life and I knew it was something I wanted to participate in.



Well, here I am! I now wear the “Pi Beta Phi” letters with pride and honor every chance I get. There’s nothing that says “sisterhood” more than when a girl, on Preference Night, goes walking out of the doors of Pi Phi, trips and falls flat on her face and have all these girls rushing to help her up and clean up her bloody knee. Yeah, that girl was me. But amidst how painful that fall was, and not to mention the embarrassment, I never once felt judged by my not so graceful moment. That’s when I knew that Pi Phi was going to bring me so much more than an organization of socials.


         Pi Phi has opened a window of opportunities for me; which I am sure every single one of my sisters can say the same for themselves. One of them I am most proud of is Future Greek Leaders. It was an incredible honor to be selected and represent Pi Phi in. I got to learn about the Greek history at UC along with being provided numerous resources and networking opportunities to make the Greek Community at UC even better. I was fortunate enough to plan a Greek-wide housing supplies drive for Over The Rhine Community Housing. I was able to work with a Theta and a Tri Delt on this project. I learned that despite how Greek life is portrayed to be, we can all come together no matter what organization, and make a true difference in this world.

         As much as I adore this sorority, my major is what I am really at school for. I am a direct-admit student in the College of Nursing here at UC. It has been one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I was hesitant about all of the organizations that my college has to offer but listening to some of my sorority sisters, who share the same major as me, talk about these organizations has persuaded me to join this year and become even more involved with UC. The girls not in my major and learning about the organizations they are in has encouraged me to join others as well.


         When I decided to pledge Pi Phi, let alone a sorority, I was expecting to get what you see on television and in movies. What I got instead were 150 girls that I knew I could laugh and cry with, girls that I could eat copious amounts of food with, and so much more that words cannot express. People always say that being in Pi Phi I “pay for friends” but if that were the case then I didn’t pay nearly enough.