January 25, 2016

Experiencing the World with your Sisters

Written by Senior, Libby Allison



“My heart is so full!” are really the only words that can truly describe what it’s like to have the opportunity to experience another country with your sisters. I recently went on a two week service trip to Namibia, Africa. As someone who had never been out of the country, I never could have imagined what kind of adventure I was about to take on. I also had no idea that the three other Pi Phis I got to share my experience with would have such an impact on my life.

The trip started out with us missing our flight to Johannesburg, South Africa and us having to take a 4 hour bus ride in the middle of the night from Washington D.C. to New York to catch a flight from there. That flight wasn’t the end of our travels though; we still had a 7 hour drive from the city of Winhoek in Namibia to the Village of Onamunhama. The four of us Pi Phis were traveling with a group of 8 other students and one trip leader, so this meant cramming all of us into a van without air conditioning and driving through this beautiful country in 100 degree weather. Needless to say, we arrived in the village covered in sweat and I think all of us thought this was the happiest moment of our lives.

After spending 10 days in what I consider to be the most beautiful place on earth, there was no argument that our 3 days of traveling had been well worth it. The 12 of us went on this trip to help the community build a multi-purpose sports court, but we left the trip having gained so much more from the community than we could ever give to them. The simplicity of the way they live and the kindness I had the chance to experience is something I will always hold on to. The people from the village don’t take anything for granted and they care for each other in ways I’ve never experienced before. I am beyond thankful for this experience and I encourage anyone who has the chance to visit this country to do it with an open mind and heart!
 
To speak to the three other women of Pi Beta Phi I was lucky enough to experience this with; it wouldn’t have been the same without you! Each of you taught me so much during this trip and I can’t explain how thankful I am.

Lindsey Keefe

I think by the end of the trip I heard every single person say that a smile never left your face the entire trip and it’s true! You’re so kind hearted and it really showed in everything you did while on this trip. You may not have been the biggest or the strongest when it came to the heavy-duty work, but you never gave up and you were always willing to lend a helping hand when it was needed!

Savannah Scalia

I think this picture says it all! You weren’t afraid to immerse yourself into the culture and you took advantage of every adventure that presented itself to you. Most importantly, you weren’t afraid to completely be yourself at all times during the trip and I think that is one of the most admirable qualities a person can possess.

Tori Groene

If you want to talk about putting your heart and soul into something, Tori does that for everything she involves herself with and this trip did not fall short of that. There were many ups and downs on this trip, but that never stopped her from giving her all. Her strength physically and emotionally is something I can easily say that everyone on the trip admired.

 
I owe a big fat thank you to Courts for Kids, Serve Beyond Cincinnati, and the 12 amazing people I went to Namibia with! If you ever have to chance to go on a service trip, TAKE IT. Getting out of your comfort zone is when you learn the most!