November 13, 2016

Sister of the Week: Savannah Scalia

Major/Year: Biology (pre-med track), 3rd year
Go-to Shower Song: Hips Don’t Lie by Shakira (She’s my spirit animal
Dream Job:  Right now, my dream job would to become a Physician Assistant and work Orthopedics. I would love to work somewhere like Beacon where I would work with injured athletes.

When did you join Pi Phi? What made you want to be a Peef?
I joined my Freshman year. I always joke that I joined Pi Phi because I have always wanted to be a Victoria’s Secret Angel but a Pi Phi angel was good enough. But seriously, I did not want to go through rush and actually did not really enjoy it. It just wasn’t me. Pi Phi was the one house that I went to where I felt like the girls were actually genuine and real. I liked how laid back and easy to talk to all the girls were and I could see that I could be myself around them. (A.k.a being able to burp really loud)

What positions have you held in Pi Phi? How have those changed your time as a member of Ohio Kappa?
 This year I was a Derby Days Delegate with my main girl Meggie Sontag! We had so much fun helping the men of Sigma Chi raise money for their philanthropy and tried to get our girls to help them out as much as possible. One thing that I have come to love about Greek life in general is how willing everyone is to support each other in their philanthropy. I really saw this through Derby Days and through our own Angels in the outfield. It is just so cool to me how we can get a large group of individuals to support various philanthropies each and every year. It really shows how Greek life here at UC is dedicated to help make a change in our World and community.

What has been your favorite thing about your time here in Pi Phi?
There are too many to write! But, I think my most favorite thing about being a Pi Phi is being close with my sisters and knowing that I have their support and encouragement in everything I do. The reason I love recruitment and spirit week so much is because I feel like that was when I first realized how lucky I am to have these amazing group of girls as my sisters and friends. This really resonated with me when I went to Africa last winter break.  I signed up for the trip through Serve Beyond Cincinnati not knowing anyone else who applied. When I saw the final list of students going, I found out that there were three other Pi Phis going as well. Two of these girls were seniors and I didn’t really know them as well. To say we bonded during that trip would be an understatement. I mean we took bucket baths together for two weeks so we were on another level of friendship. This was the first time that I really understood the value of sincere friendship. I knew that at the end of the trip, nothing would change. The bond we made in Africa will still remain in the states. To me, was amazing to experience something out of UC with my sisters

Anything you want the younger members to know?
Get involved! Like anything in your life, you take out of Pi Phi what you put into it. So get involved. Go the sisterhoods, dinners, movie nights, and chapters. Use what you are good at and find a way to incorporate that in Pi Phi. I have learned that you do not have to have an exec position to help make a change within our sorority. There are so many outlets and ways that you can get involved and become a leader without being on exec. What is so great about Pi Phi is that we are all different; we’re like a melting pot. We need to use this to our advantage and use every one's unique abilities to make Pi Phi as great as it can be. Do not be afraid to come out of your bubble and put yourself out there because you have a group of amazing sisters that will be encouraging and supporting you every step of the way :)