September 19, 2016

Sister of the Week: Brandi Emerson


brandi.jpeg
Major/Year: Communication/Senior
Go-to Shower Song: Anything Frank Ocean
Dream Job: CycleBar Instructor (:

When did you join Pi Phi? What made you want to be a Peef?
I joined Pi Phi my first year of college. I always knew I wanted to be greek, but like many often say, the conversations I had at the Pi Phi house were genuine and the girls seemed interested in me as a person. I was quickly able to find several connections in what they valued in their personal lives to mine. I knew it was important to surround myself with good people in college and had a great feeling about these women.

What Exec Positions have you held in Pi Phi? How have those changed your time as a member of Ohio Kappa?
I have been the social media chair, Vice President of Communications, and I currently serve as the Leadership and Nominating Committee Chair for Pi Phi. These leadership positions have changed my time as a member in many ways. Along with professional skills, being a good communicator is something everyone needs to know how to do, regardless of your career path. I’ve learned that a good leader is someone who takes a seat in the back row and encourages everyone else, rather than taking the spotlight. When you are able to do that, you have developed what I think is the most rewarding characteristic in a person, humility. I solely thank Pi Phi for teaching me that lesson.

What has been your favorite thing about your time here in Pi Phi?
My favorite thing about my time here in Pi Phi is that over four years of friendship, my sisters not only support me but they look up to me, and I look up to them. I've also become aware of my image and impression on others. Sorority life presents a variety of situations and you have to choose how to react. I think this is a skill not everyone has and it's helped me stay true to there person I am and want to be. 

Anything you want the younger members to know?
Insert yourself into every situation because if you don’t put yourself out there, you will regret it. Hang out at the house or better yet, live in! You will automatically get invited to things and develop new friendships. It’s not like high school where you have to work hard to fit into cliques, most girls are open to changing up their friend circle so if you see a group together on snapchat, text one of them and they will always invite you to tag along.