September 28, 2016

Angels Abroad: Lexie Gauss - Europe

Year/Major: Fourth Year, Interior Design
Fav Chef Mo Creation: Tacos

Tell us about your co-op/studying abroad! Why did you choose to go where you are?
My study abroad is half of the semester, so it's 6 weeks long! We started our first week in London, then 17 days in Paris, then 3-4 days through Basel and Vals, and finally finished off our final week in Milan. We were then given a week to go wherever we wanted! Four friends and I decided to explore the rest of Italy and travel to Venice, Florence, Rome, and Naples. I chose to go where I am because I have always wanted to travel and explore Europe, and have never had the chance! Also, Europe is a hotspot for architecture, interior design, and furniture. So when I heard about this DAAP European trip, I couldn't pass it up.
What’s it like being away from your sisters while you are gone?
Being away from my sisters when I'm gone is so difficult. I've already experienced this by being away from my sisters on co-op, but this time it's much worse! I feel like I'm missing out on so much, especially recruitment and bid day. Thankfully I can live through everyone's Instagrams, and all of my sisters are only a text or snapchat away! I can't wait to see everyone when I'm back!

Now, let’s chat about Pi Phi. What is your favorite aspect of being a member of Ohio Kappa?!
This is a hard question, because how can I choose one?! My favorite aspect of being a member of Ohio Kappa has to be the bonds I have made throughout the years, especially with my Pi Phi family. They have pushed me to be where I am now, and have also leveled me back to reality when DAAP takes over my life. I can go to them for anything. Also, I love that when I go anywhere in the world, I always meet up with a Pi Phi! Whether they're from Ohio Kappa, another state, or an alumni, it always happens. The sincere friendship is everywhere!

What advice do you have for newer or younger members?
The advice I have for the younger members from a school standpoint is obviously to study abroad! It's an incredible once in a lifetime experience you should do while you're young. Also, if you have the option to co-op out of state, do it! It's scary at first but in the end you will learn more about yourself than if you didn't take the risk. From a Pi Phi standpoint is that you should get involved. Get involved with Pi Phi and with other sororities and fraternities. It's true when they say Pi Phi will be whatever you make it. You only have 4 (or 5) years and it flies by, so make it the best you can!