October 7, 2016

Where Are They Now? Katie Dillon

To those of us in Pi Phi right now, our alum of the week is everything we aspire to be in life. Former Chapter President, Katie Dillon spent 5 years as a member in Ohio Kappa, graduating in the Spring of 2016. During her time here, not only was she Chapter President, but also New Member Coordinator, National Convention Alternate Delegate, and Vice President of Member Development. Her life outside of Pi Phi was as busy as you would expect. She was involved in the University Honors Program, Rho Lambda, Fraternal Values Society, and Student Nurses Association. She spent time as a Resident Advisor and Co-Op student at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, where she now works as a Registered Nurse! Katie is a ray of sunshine to anyone she meets and exemplifies everything it means to be a member of Ohio Kappa!! Here’s a little bit about one of our newest Alums.

Favorite Event in Pi Phi:

I looked forward to tutoring the 2nd graders at the Academy of World Languages each week through our Champions are Readers program. The students were thrilled when we would show up and it was a wonderful start to the weekend.

Best Memory in Pi Phi:

Throughout my time in Pi Phi, I had the privilege of initiating two pledge classes into our unique and sincere sisterhood. I am still so honored to have been a part of such a special memory for many Ohio Kappas.


Tell us a little about yourself!

I have what I believe is the BEST job in the world - taking care of the cutest little babies and kiddos in the Cardiac ICU at Cincinnati Children’s as a Registered Nurse. I swear my coworkers are the smartest people on this planet and I’m so lucky to be constantly encouraged and inspired by them. My eight month old Labradoodle puppy, Harlow, is ornery and sassy but I love her for it. On my days off, I love to read and explore Cincinnati with friends - especially around the OTR area. I consider myself a professional bruncher.

What made Pi Phi stick out to you throughout recruitment? How did being a member of Pi Phi make a difference in your time at UC?

It’s hard to believe that the only reason I went through recruitment my freshman year was because my roommate was rushing and I didn’t want to be alone all weekend! I quickly learned that all of my pre-misconceptions about Greek life were false and I truly enjoyed the process and getting to know many of the Panhellenic women in other houses on UC’s campus. Although all of the chapters at UC are great and decisions were not easily made, Pi Phi pulled at my heartstrings because of how welcomed and genuine I felt talking to many of the charter members. It was clear they had a vision for our sisterhood and it was headed in a wonderful direction that I wanted to be a part of. Without Pi Phi, I wouldn’t have the abundance of values-based friendships I have today or the interpersonal growth I’ve experienced from delving into the many leadership opportunities our organization has to offer.


As an Alum, how has Pi Phi helped you in your life outside of college? How did it help you grow as a person?

Aside from giving me the most incredible group of girlfriends, I started my career with a foundation of confidence and a support system that I wouldn’t have had without our sisterhood. Throughout my time in Pi Phi, I had the unique opportunity to learn how to have hard conversations, overcome adversities with different executive councils, and embody servant leadership. I know that I am better today because of members in Pi Phi who took the time to individually encourage me and I hope that I helped other members feel the same.

Any advice to those of us still making our way through the wonderful college years?

Push those comfort zones! I went out on a limb my senior year and spontaneously decided to sign up for a service trip to Nicaragua with a group of students I hardly knew. Serving with Amigos for Christ opened up my eyes and my heart as I never realized what a luxury it is to have running water here at home. We dug ditches (that would later become lined with piping) with the residents of a small village called La Coyotera. Although it was difficult to carry on elaborate conversations due to the language barrier, sharing compassion, love, and laughter translated flawlessly. I will forever be a changed person because of the 10 days I spent in Nicaragua and the one-of-a-kind group I shared that experience with.