April 8, 2016

Where Are They Now: Buthaina Karaman

Buthaina Karaman is most definitely a “She-Boss.” During her time as a member of Ohio Kappa (2012-2015), she held positions as Chapter President, VP of Administration, and Chapter Historian. Outside of Pi Phi, she was killing it in tons of other organizations. She was a member of Rho Lambda, Order of Omega, Fraternal Values Society, UC Global Public Health Brigades, and Caducea Pre-Medical Society. She was also involved in the STARS Undergraduate Research Scholar Program. She finished out her undergraduate with a major in Biology and a minor in Africana Studies. She is now working on making her way through graduate school, while being a personal stylist at Anthropologie. Now, let’s get to know Buthaina and learn what Ohio Kappa meant to her!

Favorite Event in Pi Phi:


I so looked forward to our spring musical sisterhood every year! Seeing the Lion King and Mama Mia with all my sisters is something I will never forget.

Best Memory in Pi Phi:

There are too many to choose from! I’ll go with the one that first comes to mind. Two other Pi Phi’s and I decided to take a last minuet trip to Monmouth (I’m talking REALLY last min). We packed my car, and made plans to stay with a Bradley University Pi Phi. We had so much fun exploring Monmouth, and even got to tour the Holt House. Make an effort to go while you’re still a collegiate member, its an unforgettable experience!

Tell us a little about yourself!


I’m a graduate student over on UC’s medical campus working towards my Masters in Public Health. Traveling is what sets my soul on fire, and I’m always planning my next trip. This summer I’ll be completing my Practicum in Kenya working with a local nonprofit. I’m a self-professed foodie and love exploring new places to eat & brunch in Cincinnati. I also love to cook at home! To say I’m obsessed with Beyoncé is a complete understatement (I’m losing sleep waiting for her new album to drop). I can’t believe it’s almost been a year since graduating Pi Phi!

What made Pi Phi stick out to you throughout recruitment? How did being a member of Pi Phi make a difference in your time at UC?


I felt welcomed and at home as soon as I was greeted at the door the first night of recruitment. I had meaningful conversations, and I pictured myself being a part of the incredible sisterhood. Pi Phi opened so many doors for me as a student. I was able to travel, network, and gain invaluable leadership experience.

As an Alum, how has Pi Phi helped you in your life outside of college? How did it help you grow as a person?


Pi Phi has given me some of my dearest and closest friends - a support system that will last for the rest of my life. The values instilled in me by Pi Phi have become a part of who I am as a person, and that affects everything I do. I stay involved in Pi Phi through the Cincinnati Alum Club where I’m able to learn from sisters much older than myself.

Any advice to those of us still making our way through the wonderful college years?


Find your passion and take advantage of all the opportunities that are available to you! Time truly does fly by, so get involved, be kind, and say YES!