April 19, 2016

Where Are They Now: Alyssa Vah


Alyssa Vah killed it in college, not only as a member of Pi Beta Phi but as a student here at University of Cincinnati. During her 5 years as member of Ohio Kappa, she held multiple positions, such as Relay for Life Chair, VP of Membership and Chapter President. She was a member of the Arrowboard committee as well as New Member committee. Outside of Ohio Kappa, she was on the Relay for Life Planning committee, Cincinnati Dance Marathon Executive Board and served as a Rho Gamma. She was a member of multiple organizations, such as Rho Lambda, Order of Omega, GlobalMed, RallyCats and University Honors Program. She graduated with a major in Nursing and now works in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit at the Cincinnati Veterans Affairs Medical center. She is also a skincare consultant for Rodan+Fields!! Now, here’s a little more about Alyssa and how Ohio Kappa affected her.


Favorite Event in Pi Phi: 


I think my favorite events were always our musical sisterhoods and training for Greek Week. The Sisterhoods literally put everyone in the same room and it was also so much fun to get dressed up and take over the Aronoff! The actors would always take pictures with us afterwards in the lobby! And training for Greek Week was pure blood, sweat, and tears but always worth it in the end! Plus it’s extra time you get to hang out with your amazing sisters.

Best Memory in Pi Phi: 


Winning #1 in Variety Show for Greek Week my senior year! It was one of the greatest nights of my life! I also really enjoyed initiating all the new members when I was Chapter President; it seems like it would get boring and tedious but I seriously LOVED it. Every girl had a different reaction and it was always a new experience. I would initiate everyone for the rest of forever if I could!

Tell us a little about yourself!


I love to READ. (Hello Pi Phi philanthropy!) I could spend every cent I ever make on books. I have a dog named Tank, he’s a golden retriever and he’s six. I adore him! I am super into baking ever since I got my kitchenaid mixer for Christmas! I started making gourmet cupcakes and have way too many cookbooks for my own good. I love to hike and be outside! I take Tankers hiking all the time; it’s one of our favorite things to do! I volunteer for the Make-A-Wish Foundation and love kids in general!

What made Pi Phi stick out to you throughout recruitment? How did being a member of Pi Phi make a difference in your time at UC?


I joined Pi Phi the year it was colonized, Spring 2010. I liked it because it wasn’t a sorority with a bunch of history or traditions on campus; I could help form it into what I thought a sorority experience should be like in college. Pi Phi completely changed my life! I blossomed in Pi Phi and grew into a woman I didn’t even know existed! It is such a large part of who I am and I honestly can’t imagine what I would have spent five years doing if I wouldn’t have joined!


As an Alum, how has Pi Phi helped you in your life outside of college? How did it help you grow as a person?


Pi Phi has helped me be more comfortable talking to new people and getting outside of my comfort zone. It has helped me to go with the flow and LISTEN. I think that people underestimate the power of active listening and Pi Phi has made me into someone who HAS to do that (thank you Chapter President). Pi Phi opened up a world of connections and a family that I will have no matter where my future takes me!

Any advice to those of us still making our way through the wonderful college years?


BE YOU. Don’t change for other people or adjust how you are to satisfy someone else. Be true to yourself. Be weird. Be funny. Be awkward. Just be whatever makes you happy.
And KEEP GOING. Push yourself beyond what you think you are capable of.
“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” —Neale Donald Walsch

(FAVORITE QUOTE OF ALL TIME!)