April 4, 2015

Sisterhood Spotlight: Raleigh

Raleigh is one of the many amazing role models here in our Ohio Kappa chapter. She has shown endless hard work and dedication towards Pi Phi, and with many of the other organizations she is involved in. Not only is she inspiring, but provides us with the insight to developing a great community here at UC. Raleigh is now a senior in Ohio Kappa studying Urban Planning in the college of DAAP, this is her story. 



I joined the Ohio Kappa Chapter of Pi Beta Phi in the Fall of 2010 as a member of our chapter's first formal recruitment class.  From the moment I joined, I knew I wanted to get involved in a leadership role.  I was able to hold a chair position as a freshman and helped implement our first annual philanthropy event Pi Phi Fright Night, which is now Angels in the Outfield.  After that, I was our chapter's third Vice President of Finance.  Since then, I have been a Recruitment Process Chair and last year I was our Policy and Standards Board Chair.  Clearly, after that mouthful of involvement, being devoted to the development of Ohio Kappa was a large part of my 5 years of membership.

While being heavily involved in my own chapter, my leadership opportunity was my service as the Vice President of Inter-Greek Affairs on our Panhellenic Executive Council last year.  Serving our entire Greek Community was the most challenging, yet, rewarding position.  I was able to learn a great deal about our fraternities and sororities across all councils - IFC, Panhellenic, NPHC, and our Multi-cultural groups.  Aside from growing immensely as a leader and as a person, I was fortunate enough to contribute to the growth of other members outside of my own affiliation.


Over the past five years, I have been honored to become a member of the Order of Omega, Rho Lambda, and the Fraternal Values Society.  Outside of Greek Life, I have been a member of RallyCats, Forever Bearcats, and the Planning Student Organization.  Recently, I have been honored to be nominated by Ohio Kappa for the Amy Burnham Onken Award, which is given to a graduating senior for outstanding scholarship and campus and community leadership.  After graduation, I plan on pursuing a career in consulting related to my academic field, Urban Planning, but my love for Pi Phi will never cease as I hope to stay involved as an alum!

- Mackenzie Besiner