May 7, 2012

Champions Are Readers




Every quarter the women of Pi Beta Phi go to Covedale Elementary School to participate in the CAR program. CAR stands for Champions Are Readers. Through CAR Pi Beta Phi is able to promote literacy locally. Pi Phi is partnered with a different second grade class each quarter where the children are able to improve reading skills in a fun, exciting way. Each CAR session lasts an hour each week for four weeks. At the end of CAR, Pi Phi hosts a party for the children for completing the program. Parents are invited to see their kids receive a certificate and medal.  Throughout the four weeks, the second graders work on a CAR workbook with the Pi Phi ladies. The workbook includes reading activities, word searches, mazes, and a reading racetrack for the kids to complete with their parents at home. This encourages the kids to read outside of the classroom.

I have been participating in the CAR program every quarter for the last two years. I enjoy being able to read with the children in the second grade classes. Knowing that the kids look forward to seeing and reading with me every week makes it that much better. I have gained so much from participating in CAR. I am able to promote literacy with my other Pi Phi sisters, give back to the community, and pass my passion of reading onto the second grade classes. CAR is such a great opportunity and I am so thankful going Covedale Elementary has become part of my week.